BEING A BETTER YOUNG PERSONALITY


             "If what you are doing is not working, be innovative and do something different" Anonymous



Been a while since I've written one of these. So I'm a little rusty. I have written at least 4 blogs over the last two months but all I decided were not good enough to do anything with. That includes this one for reasons that will become apparent and obvious as you read on. Today though I just want to speak about some of pressures I've found being a "young leader" which I still think is one of the most cringey names to call young volunteers. So yeah...

"Be a role-model" 

If you're like me and are a massive over-thinker then you'll understand how painfully annoying it can be at times. It's ups and downs. It can allow you to provide sensational attention to detail when creating session plans or writing abstracts. Or alternatively it makes you extremely indecisive about small decisions such as buying presents for someones birthday. Apply that to how many decisions you have to make as a coach on a football pitch.

So as you can imagine, when you're just 14 years old and told to be a role-model it can be a tad daunting. This was something that has been drilled and engraved into my head from around 14 years old. You're still a kid yourself at that age. To think that people are looking up to you at that age is a pretty bizarre feeling. For me at least anyway.

Little things about your personality change like body language, way we speak and attitude all need to be adjusted. Remember that guy/girl or coach you looked up to before? Well to many you're that person to them. That's you now. It's pretty amazing and weird feeling when you think about it. It's something that I found strange at first and I think many others did as well. It's a bucket load of responsibility.




Confidence

You don't become confident overnight. It takes time to grow. Like a seed. (Awful simile but you know what I mean). The more you practice something then the more confident you become at it. Many of my friends from school will tell you that I was very quiet and shy when they first met me. Still am in some cases. Or most cases.

Once you find something that makes you happy and confident then everything will become easier. Just little things such as talking and meeting new people. This kind of links in to the quote a have at the stop of the page. If something isn't working then try something different until you find something that gives you confidence. If coaching isn't your thing then cool but there are so many other things within sport you could try that will definitely give you the confidence you need. One of the best ways to grow in confidence is to simply get involved in a kickaround with the participants and build some relationships.

Voice

As a coach, referee, organiser or player in sports such as football I would be surprised if someone hasn't mentioned your voice once! I was far too quiet! Rest easy though as your voice like all you other skills it will kick in and improve over time. It's much like singing where the more you use your voice in a certain way then the stronger it will get over time. Just try to be as loud and confident as you can. A wise coach once told me that the best coaches are the quiet and reflective ones. I still have problems with my voice every now and then. Chuck in a comical Bristolian accent and you can have yourself a right problem. They are just things you have to adapt to and find ways around. If you are not screamer who yell at their players like you're herding cattle then don't worry. Don't be afraid to call your players closer into a huddle to get a message across. There is nothing wrong with that. A wise man told me that many of the best coaches around the world are introverts but have found ways of communicating well with their participants.It's whatever works for you.



Be Creative

I think a lot of coaches can be stuck down to being quite ordinary and sometimes afraid to be inventive. I'm not just banging on about session planning. In terms of styles of coaching and ways of communicating with people.

I think of sports coaching as a performing art. You're on a stage, eyes are on you, pressure is on you to deliver. When you're coaching a team on a Saturday morning it's the same concept but with smaller numbers. So the best sessions are usually the ones that are the most unique and different. You can take inspiration from other sessions but always try and put you own spin on it whilst also thinking about how you're going to deliver it to your audience. If the participants are having fun and entertained then chances are that they are learning as well at the same time.



Build a Connection

This one is more about if you're first going into any type of coaching. Just like any type of stage-performer, the coach or volunteer should want to build a relationship with his/her players. This kind of comes over time though. Like with any relationship it will get stronger over time. However, the more the participants know you then the more effort they will put in to their training for you. They will also start to learn about your small imperfections in your coaching manor such as your accent. That's of course after they will take the mick out of it. However it is vital that you are not overly friendly that you show weaknesses in authority or become too laid back with the kids and start to lose control.

So those are my 5 key things to being a successful young leader. Completely your choice if you follow them and good if you disagree with them. There are so many more qualities that you should have but for me these are the most important. Follow those and you will be well on your way to being a better coach than myself.

I realise this blog is astronomically egotistical and may come across as extremely cocky for someone who is still very much learning himself. In no way do I claim to know it all but just enjoying learning off of everyone around me. I disputed and argued whether to put this blog up or not but eventually thought it could potentially benefit people. It was suppose to be up before a certain Football Futures Camp in Somerset but it never formulated.

Thanks for reading this far.
ChippKG





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children are NOT mini-adults

Wigan Ins/Outs

Liverpool Ins/Outs