Core Values

I'm back with aother blog and this topic was another that was inspired by my time at St George's Park for the FA Leadership Academy and also TheCoachDiary. Once again, this blog is going to get quite deep quite quickly.


"Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values" - Ellen DeGeneres


As I grow a bit older, I starting to understand my values as a person and figure out different things that I stand for. I should probably start first of all by explaining what I mean by "values". 




What are values?  

According the Oxford Dictionary Values are principles or standards of behavior; one's judgement of what is important in life. However, if don't want to trust a document that classify's "YOLO" and "Selfie" as words then I'll tell you what values mean to me.  

To me, values are are building blocks of what our purpose is. The values that you stand for shape the sort of person you are and often reflect the person you are. They have the superpower to determine our priorities or the measures you most likely use to determine if your life is turning out how you what it to or not. 

I'll chuck you a example, I coach  kids football team on weekends. It's in my interest as their coach to understand the values that make each person. There are some players who show values that inspire them to be creativity or some have values that demonstrate leadership. Often or not these players acquire their values from their parents. That's what shapes their priorities and personalities.  

"Values are like fingerprints. Nobody's are the same, but you leave them all over everything you do." - Elvis Presley


So where am I going with this blog? I hear you murmur. Well, I want to inspire others to be proactive, passionate and enthusiastic about something. Whether that be sport or something else. To do this then people who want to succeed need their own core beliefs as to why they want to get out of bed in the morning. Values as to how we carry out our jobs. Below is useful picture of lots words what your core values could be. 




I was challenged recently by a coach to drum up my own core values which included respect, attitude and industriousness amongst others. I took more time coming up with these then I would like to admit. But nonetheless, once I have them pinned down then you recognise what to develop and how you want to develop it. 

Respect - I like to think that I treat everyone with respect in society. Never thinking that I'm particularly better/worse then anyone else. We're all human so everyone gets to be treated with the same respect. Within sport, I respect everyone's views and appreciate that you can learn anything from anyone. Always treat others how you want to be treated. I can recall times when coaches disrespected me as a player, Whether that be in a training session or match. As a result I try to treat everyone as equal. This is very much a quality I developed myself and through family and friends but applies in all walks in life. 


"One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say" 
Bryant H. McGill



Industriousness - This means to be energetic in application within work or study. To get up with doses of enthusiasm and to work hard. To me this goes without saying in every bit of work I do. If you're not going to apply yourself then why do it at all? Being industrious ties in with being diligent and determined which I believe is quality attained through my family. Not just family though, I remember being inspired by the things Joe Ryan, Louis, Nick Dewfall, Dave Sainsbury, Martin Coles and the team at Somerset FA were achieving when I was 15/16. That's what filled me with a industrious mindset. 



“To do great work one must be very idle as well as very industrious.” 


Attitude -  Attitude is key within what I want to do. I want to have a attitude that can inspire others to develop. Attitude inks to discipline, performance, positivity and productivity. I think that having a strong attitude is key to everything you do and can be infectious. Often the attitude I give off is different to the attitude I have of myself which kinda sounds weird but makes sense in my jumbled brain. Your attitude is what defines you. As a coach, I spend more time thinking of the positive things people are doing then the negative things. Always focusing on things you can control and as a result it makes you proactive. Attitude is something that I've had a few role models with. A bizaare role model I have is Ed Sheeran purely based on his laidback mannerisms and relaxed outlook on life. Qualities that I try to replicate in my personality. 

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” 





These values are my top three but I can think of bundles more. These values reflect through things I do, teams I coach and how I promote myself. Values can be a infectious thing that can inspire a variety of people. Hopefully, allowing you to read some of mine has accomplished just that. If not, then something has gone catastrophically wrong and you've lost approximately 2 minutes of your day. 

I want you to do some homework! (sigh). I want you to think about YOUR values. Thinking about why you do the things you do and what you stand for. They can be as serious or as silly as you want. Mine were relatively serious, probably too serious. So be as creative as you can and hit me up on social media. 

See you soon, 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children are NOT mini-adults

Wigan Ins/Outs

Liverpool Ins/Outs